Saturday, July 7, 2012

REDEFINING SEXY

I am really starting to get concerned.

I believe the enemy is after the hearts of women.  I have seen too much and personally experienced temptation way too often and too intensely to doubt it. 

A few weeks back I wrote about the girl next to me on a flight reading "Fifty Shades of Grey," and how I was pretty much as uncomfortable with that as I would be if a man next to me was reading Playboy.  To me I really just didn't see the difference.

And now every channel is pumping out commercials for "Magic Mike," the male-stripper movie. 

Whatevs.  That stuff is out there, right?

But it's not just OUT THERE.  It's IN HERE.  In Christian circles.  Affecting your friends and mine.

On Facebook lately I've seen groups of women going out together to see the "Magic" together--photos snapped of women all dressed up, going out for a girls' night, just having some fun.

I want to be clear--these are women who know and love God.  And so I'm just puzzled--at what point can we as Christ followers justify handing over money to see something that's been rated R for "pervasive sexual content, brief graphic nudity, pervasive language, and drug use"?

I know these very things are, to varying degrees, peppered throughout just about any movie showing in the theaters these days.   But when you go to a movie fully knowing you're going to be staring at really good looking guys taking their clothes off for 90 minutes?  Is this really where we are--marinating our minds in pervasive sexual content that has nothing to do with our own spouse?  If we really want to see God glorified then when we see all of this for what it is, we should be unsettled  UNDONE by this trend.

And how do the husbands feel about this?  Were they allowed to go out to a strip club that night while the girls saw that movie?  And really--would it have been any different than what their wives were doing?

I'm worried.  I'm worried that I don't guard my own heart enough, my own eyes enough, my own ears enough.  I'm worried at what I see becoming more and more "okay" in circles of believers, all in the name of girls' night out. 

I am very worried that we're getting a really messed up view of what is "sexy."  Channing Tatum is an attractive man, no doubt, but watching guys pelvic thrusting around a stage doesn't do it for me.

A man who is faithful to his family is sexy.

A man who is considerate is sexy.

A man who serves others is sexy.

A man who is there 10 years, 20 years, 30 years and so on after the vows were spoken?  Sexy.

A man who honestly wants what God wants is what is desirable.

And ladies--many of us have the "sexy" already in our own houses.

And if not, we need to be hitting our knees in prayer for the men in our lives--and making sure WE are desirable in these ways as well. This isn't to say that we're never pulled toward these illusions of desire.  But if we're not wanting what God wants, we've got to be busy about praying for the WANT to want what God wants.

Not daydreaming about that other guy who seems to take so much interest in you.

Not soaking up every word of that hot novel all your girlfriends recommended.

Not running off to the movies with the girls.

All of these are only steps--I get that.  But they are steps that LEAD SOMEWHERE.  And for those who find themselves too far down the path, sometimes they find themselves paying for their pursuits with their reputations, their friendships, their marriages,  and their families. 

WAY too high a price to pay.

Father, protect Your daughters!  I feel such a war being waged against our hearts.  For every wife and mom who is looking for something to tantalize her tired heart, meet those needs with PURE things.  Keep the enemy far from us!  Protect our marriages, protect our families.  Keep us in Your Word, that we might not sin against You.  These are such real battles, LORD.  Let your Holy Spirit make us very, very uncomfortable in pursuing passion outside what is pleasing to You!


Whatever is
TRUE
NOBLE
RIGHT
PURE
LOVELY
ADMIRABLE
EXCELLENT
PRAISEWORTHY
Think about such things.

Philippians 4:8


Among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

Ephesians 5:3


* I am hearing awesome things about Craig Groeschel's SOUL DETOX: Clean Living in a Contaminated World.  It's next on my reading list!  It sounds like it's getting in a lot of people's business--in the best, most soul-sanctifying way!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment