Tuesday, October 19, 2010

ARE YOU GOING TO LET ME IN?

I pulled onto the freeway yesterday and tried to merge into heavy traffic. But the first car didn't let me in.

So I tried to slow down, but there was a car right behind him who also didn't let me in.
At this point I was off the official road and in the breakdown lane, driving over pieces of shredded tire, frantically hoping car #3 would let me in.

He didn't. He seemed equally as unaware of the fact that I was completely off the road and now headed for a ditch.

But finally I was able to get over. I slipped into the lane and breathed a sigh of relief.

And you know, I really don't think anyone was purposefully keeping me out. I just think that as long as they had a secure spot in the lane, they weren't really mindful of someone who didn't. Even if that someone was headed for danger.

I can relate. It is really, really easy for me to sit back and delight in the fact that I have found salvation through Jesus Christ. I'm in--and that can never be taken away from me. But I'm also prone to disregard those who aren't in Christ. I mean, my hope is sure and I know the One who gives me hope and a future. And I can totally "Kumbaya" on that all day long. I can sit in my chair at church, happy as a clam to be there--and not give a second thought to who ISN'T taking up a spot. Someone who is bumping along in life--and heading for a ditch. Someone who needs Jesus.

Thankfully, my family and I are part of a church that challenges us to consider those who aren't yet in the room on a Sunday morning. But I confess I have a long way to go--Do you, too? Because just like the drivers who didn't let me in, I really don't think we don't WANT people to come to know Christ. It's just that as long as you and I have found our spot in the lane, we can completely miss those who haven't--and are in peril right beside us.

Lord, I don't like to dwell on the fate of those who don't know You, but Your Word is clear on the matter. That should rend my heart and spur me on to action! I have found salvation in you. But it's been by Your grace, and due in part to the people who weren't so comfortable in their own salvation that they forgot about someone like me. Open my eyes to truly see people who need You.

No comments:

Post a Comment