Thursday, April 5, 2012

WHY I CAN'T TAKE OFF YET

The other morning I got stopped at a red light beside the airport. I turned to see a plane at the start of the runway and felt a huge nudge in my heart. I felt the Holy Spirit saying, "Watch."

And so I did.

I watched the plane begin to pick up speed. More and more. And by the end of the long, long runway, the plane had finally built up the speed and momentum to take off.

And there was the lesson. A plane has never taken off at the beginning of the runway.

Why do I expect it to be any different in my own life?

Why am I caught off guard when my kids don't fall in line the first time I teach them a lesson?

Why does that credit card statement still have that ugly number on it when we've thrown every possible penny at that account?

Why do I bum hard when I'm still in the same size jeans even after working out/eating well for a whole entire week?

Why am I nearly pulling my hair out when my very first event isn't coming together as easily as I would like?

I'll tell you why. I have no momentum. Not yet, anyway.

After a recent moment of high frustration in developing this event coming up, my husband said to me, "Just think of anyone you know who did anything important. Did it happen easily for them? No. Did things come together on their first try? Nope. They faced rejection. Things didn't go the way they thought. They weren't sure anything was ever going to come of all their efforts. Why should it be any different with this?"

Point taken. And interestingly enough, that conversation took place the same day I watched that plane take off. From the END of the runway, mind you. Not the beginning.


Father, I will keep trying to be faithful every single day. This week that looks like working to find a location. But I truly need YOUR power to bring about what I totally believe originated with YOU. I will be a good steward in Your strength, but I ask for Your power and providence to bring about the MOMENTUM I lack at this point. Thank you for ordering my steps to watch that plane take off that morning--not the moment it hit the runway, but at the end of it.

I lift up anyone reading this who needs some momentum in their lives right now. Let Your Holy Spirit confirm in their hearts what THEY can do this week, then strengthen them to do it. But God, please come through in doing what ONLY You can do to give momentum to Your sons and daughters who just want to see Your name lifted up. In the able and mighty name of Jesus, Amen.

LET US NOT GROW WEARY IN DOING GOOD
FOR AT THE PROPER TIME WE WILL REAP A HARVEST
IF WE DO NOT GIVE UP.
Galatians 6:9
(Have this one memorized yet?)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment