Thursday, February 7, 2013

OH,YEAH...I'M SMALL

We aren't exactly tall around here.  The tallest person in our family is 5'8".  Me? I'm a sky-scraping 5'2". Our daughter's full adult height is projected to be 4'9" -- Yep, you read that right.  Four. Feet. Nine. Inches...

...And so heels are my friends!  It's nothing for me to spend my summers in 4-inchers.  And at the end of the day when I kick off my shoes and sink down several inches, there's the realization once again:

Oh, yeah.  I'm small.  

I feel like there are times in my life when I parade around in spiritual heels.  Look at what I accomplished for the Kingdom! See what I did in His name! Check me out, serving my God!

But then when I spend two seconds face to face with the utter magnificence of God, I am restored to my right place, remembering the truth about the matter:

Oh, yeah.  I'm small.

Divinely made, but small.  Purpose-covered, but tiny.  Made in the image of my God...but miniscule. 

He has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, and marked off the heavens with His fingers (Isaiah 40:12).  And--oh, yeah--I'm small.  The train of His robe fills the temple and He has raised the dead.  And me?  Well, in stark contrast, I'm small.

If I don't spend time considering the flippin' hugeness of God (take THAT phrase, deep theologians), then I'll buy into the lie that it's about me.  And if you never gaze into the grandeur of God, you'll be tempted to believe your own press, so to speak.  

This life isn't about you nor me, nor my name, nor your fame.  But it IS about someone who outlasts our every single effort to make our names known.  You are small, I am small.  And it's okay.

Itty, bitty you.  GREAT BIG GOD.  

Your name and Your renown are the desire of our hearts, LORD.  You are great, and you grace us with Your enormity.  Give us wisdom to remember how small we are in light of how great You are.   

Photobucket

* "Itty, bitty you. Great big God." -Louie Giglio: i am not but i know I AM
Photo credit:   http://pinterest.com/pin/226165212507160319/

No comments:

Post a Comment