Monday, February 13, 2012

SO MUCH FOR THAT

I took a pregnancy test 7 years ago today.

It was negative.

I tossed it in the trash can, fought back tears and thought, "So much for that." My dream of being a mom wasn't going to be realized. Not this month, anyway.

Or so I thought.

The next morning was Valentine's Day. I jumped in the car to head out to work, but remembered I'd left something upstairs in my room. I ran back into the house and was headed for my bedroom, but I suddenly stopped in my tracks. And, for no particular reason at all, I turned back toward the hall bathroom where my hopes had been dashed the night before. I walked into the bathroom, picked up the trash can, looked inside, and saw it.

A
positive pregnancy test.

To this day I don't really know how to explain it. I just know there was one line the night before (I waited plenty long enough before checking the test, trust me), and the next day there were two lines.

And eight months later, I was the mother of a beautiful baby boy.

How often do we discount what God is doing, assuming things just aren't going to happen--even if we have pretty legitimate reasons for thinking so? We think things are dead in the water, throw our hands up in the air and say, "So much for that." In our minds and hearts we put up headstones over the hopes and dreams we assume aren't going to be realized.

BUT GOD.

God moves even in our lack of perception of Him moving. When it appears something's dead in the water, He is often breathing life into the situation.

Even Lazarus' family, who had a pretty legitimate reason to believe all hope was lost for their brother (seeing as how he was dead and all), should instead have been preparing to celebrate his restoration to life. The story was far from over, and the glory of God had yet to be seen in that situation.

Be encouraged. Some of the very things you and I are tempted to write off as dead in the water are far from it.

I know. Because the proof of it is running around the house playing with trains right now.


Thank You, Gracious Heavenly Father.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Love this Thea!! Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this Thea. We are so often quick to decide what God is doing. We don't have a clue. He is so much better than we can imagine! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this reminder- needed it today.

    ReplyDelete