Tuesday, May 10, 2011

TO MAKE IT MORE PALATABLE

I have to laugh sometimes when I read reviews of recipes...

REVIEW FOR BASIL PARMESAN RISOTTO:

"Well, I give this 4 stars. I'm not really a big fan of basil, so I used some fresh strawberries I had on hand instead. And instead of parmesan, I used some chocolate. I didn't have any Arborio rice, so this actually turned out a little more 'Chocolate-Covered Strawberries'-ish rather than 'Basil Parmesan Risotto'-ish. With these modifications, it was the perfect recipe!"

Okay, so they're not quite this bad. But it cracks me up how people modify the heck out of a recipe, and then decide how they feel about it.

I feel like that happens a lot with the Word of God. Seems sometimes a lot of picking and choosing and modifying and even omitting occurs when people decide just how palatable His Word is.

"I love the "I-don't-condemn-you" side of Jesus, but I could do without the "Go-sin-no-more" side. And God didn't really say what He said about that, did He? Wellll, let's just leave that out--we don't want to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth!"

Add and change and modify and omit. And after enough modifications, we find God and His Word to be palatable--something we're able to swallow.

But what if we were to taste and see that the LORD is good, and that His Word is pleasing--even as sweet as honey?

And what if we were to realize it's this way...without even the slightest modification?

No comments:

Post a Comment