Thursday, September 8, 2011

NO EXCEPTIONS


No exceptions. Whenever I read those words, there's something in me that thinks "Really? No exceptions? What if there are unusual circumstances? What if there's something really outrageous that happens? Really, truly, no exceptions?"

Right. No exceptions.

When we are commanded not to worry, there are NO exceptions to this command.

But what if I am looking at my bank statement and don't know how this stack of bills is going to get paid?

No worrying. No exceptions.

I've been without a job for 8 months.

No worrying. No exceptions.

My child just went off to college in another state.

No worrying. No exceptions.

Probably the MOST common one I've heard is when people think they are justified in their worry over their children. And hey, I've been here myself:

I get to worry over this one. I lost a child to miscarriage before she came along, so she is a miracle to me.

I have to worry over my son. We didn't think we could have children, yet here he is, and I don't want anything to happen to him.

I'm allowed to worry over my daughter. She has respiratory issues that can become severe.

Please understand my heart here--I'm calling out the sin of worry without at all downplaying how precious our kids are to us. I'm not saying we shouldn't take care and be cautious in making sure our children are safe. That's our job!!

But WORRYING IS NOT.

"Do not worry about ANYTHING, but by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6).

Our worry is replaced with the action of praying grateful prayers. Instead of worrying, we're bringing our petitions to the God of all peace--a peace that surpasses our understanding and covers our hearts and minds. It's not doing nothing when we worry. It's doing the best possible thing instead of worrying. And we are able to forego worry because we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (v. 13).

Francis Chan writes in Crazy Love, "Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives. Worry communicates that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional."

Wow. That paragraph kicked my butt. It even got a rise out of that part of me that always feels the need to question the whole idea of "no exceptions."

But if I'm honest, I have to acknowledge this as a true word! Did God ever say "Trust me in all things. Unless the adoption process takes longer than expected--then feel free to worry away!" or even "Trust me and do not worry. Unless, of course, you have a child with a peanut allergy--that's just way beyond My ability to handle--you get a Free Worry Pass on that one!"?

Is anything too hard for the LORD? Are we justified in our worry over anything?

Trust Him completely. With anything. And everything. And anyone.

No worrying.

No exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment