Tuesday, May 1, 2012

ARE YOU EVER GOING TO ACTUALLY *DO* ANYTHING?



Pinterest.  Gotta love it.  It's one of those things that you can spend all the live-long day pinning organization ideas, free things to do over the summer with your kids, cool decorating ideas, or your choice of about a thousand chicken casserole recipes....and keep them in a handy place where they'll probably never be used.  Like, ever.

But just today I thought, "Enough!"  I have 409 pins and it's time to finally do something with them.  

So I decided that until I actually bake/make/apply something that I have already pinned, I don't get to pin anything else.  Time to put into action what I've already taken in.

I can totally do this with the Word of God, too.  I can sit and take in and read and study and absorb.  But at some point I've got to get up and GO DO IT.

I've got to actually encourage someone.  I've got to actually meet the needs of the poor.  I've got to actually forgive.  Actually share the reason for the hope I have.  Actually love.  Actually tithe.  Actually serve.  Actually deny myself, take up my cross, and follow Him.  

Recently I heard a speaker say, "Your feet have to touch the ground once in a while."  I typed this into the notes section of my phone, and it was promptly auto-corrected to "Your feet have to touch the groin once in a while."  Awesome.  :D

But it's true.  The rubber has to meet the road.  We have to do the thing.  Apply the truth.  Live it out.  Do something.

After all, our example is the Word who was made flesh and dwelt among us.

Do not merely listen to the Word 
and so deceive yourselves.
Do what it says.
James 1:22
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Oh I so need to apply this! Thanks for sharing. =)
    Alesha <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thea! I am so glad you found me! Because it is a joy to be able to follow you back. Love that quote! And that auto correct made my day lol. Good decision with Pinterest! It definitely turns into window shopping of ideas. "Ooh I like that one, and that one, oh that is pretty too." But, those ideas never take root! I'm trying to find one or two ideas to add to my to-do list, as in, intentionally look for pins that are I-can-do-this instead of "hmm maybe someday I'll get to this neat project!" This week's: making sidewalk paint for our son. (our "yard" is a small parking lot! and it kills the chalk quickly!) super easy. I love the parallel with obeying God too. it's so easy to be a hearer (and a sayer-we should love God! etc) but not a doer. Thank you for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS POST!

    I think I've spent most of my life knowing "what" to do and "how" to do it...but just recently started "doing."

    Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us all!

    ReplyDelete