Saturday, January 19, 2013

BUT WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU FALL ASLEEP IN IT?

Oh, sleep.  Sleepy, sleep sleep.

The alarm went off the other morning, and I wasn't ready to get up (which is pretty much always the case before, say, 9-ish).  I turned off my alarm (no snooze button for me) and stayed right where I was for a moment.  I didn't spring right out of bed to tackle the day.  I pulled the covers up a bit, snuggled in a bit more, and willed myself NOT to fall back to sleep.

Um...it didn't work.  Lulled back into slumber, I ended up frantically waking up late and dealing with the aftermath.

Why would I have thought I could stay in that bed and NOT fall asleep in it?   The very environment ensured I would drift back off to the land of slumber.

And why do we think we can flirt with disaster and not fall asleep in it?  

We think we can send little messages to that someone from the past, but no way are we going to drift off into a full-blown affair.

We think we can swipe, swipe, swipe that credit card, but no way are we going to fall asleep in this place of financial ruin.

We think we can fudge on our taxes and be shady with our income, but we won't end up deep in a messy and revealing audit.

We think we can slander and slay another with our words, but no way are we going to end up sullying our own names because of it.

If you are lying in a bed, it's only a matter of time before you're going to fall asleep in it.  Whether or not that is our actual INTENTION is irrelevent, really.


We need to get up out of these "beds" that threaten to lull us into something that will leave us dealing frantically with the aftermath, whether it's cutting up credit cards, or cutting off all contact with you-know-who.

Because you can't stay in the bed, and not eventually fall asleep into it.  

Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? Can a man walk on hot coals without his feet being scorched?
Proverbs 6:27-28 

* Out of what "bed" do you need to climb before you're lulled to sleep in it?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment