Thursday, January 10, 2013

I DON'T HAVE ONE WORD

I didn't end up landing on one word this year.

Turns out, I'll have twelve.

My One Word for last year was READYReady yourselves.  I loved how the word READY became a verb over the course of last year.

The verse that accompanied this theme was Joshua 3:5--a very "Get Ready" kind of verse.  It was our family verse last year, the one that ended up framed and hanging on our tree...and it's the verse of focus again, but in a different way:

One word at a time.   

January: Consecrate
February: Yourselves
March: For
April: Tomorrow
May: The
June: LORD
July: Will
August: Do
September: Amazing
October: Things
November: Among
December: You

I'm taking this verse one word at a time, one month at a time, meditating on each of these words for 30-ish days.  You may think, "Really?  A whole month meditating on the word FOR?" But yes.  That's actually one of the words I'm looking forward to most.  FOR means BECAUSE.  We're called to consecrate ourselves BECAUSE of what's coming next.  I love that for every command, there's a FOR.  A BECAUSE.  A reason.  A hope and a future. 

And so I'm starting with CONSECRATE.  Being set apart, not mixed in.  Made pure, untainted.  And I so love that there is a FOR on the way.

*Do tell: What's your One Word...or Words?
 
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I've never thought of meditating on one word for a whole year, but I have been thinking a lot lately about the phrase, "BUT GOD"...

    The Scriptures are FULL of times when such-and-such was supposed to happen, BUT GOD turned it around.

    Three that immediately come to mind are,

    "But as for you, you thought evil against me; BUT GOD meant it unto good, … to save much people alive" (Genesis 50:20).

    and

    "For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet perhaps for a good man some would even dare to die. BUT GOD commends His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:7,8).

    and

    "For indeed [Epaphroditus] was sick nigh unto death: BUT GOD had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also." (Philippians 2:27)

    I'm going to marinate in BUT GOD for a while, but I'm not sure it will be a year. It could be two!

    He has moved "BUT GOD" in my life so many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this, Judi--and it reminded me of something. I just posted it to your wall! Love you!

      Delete
  2. love this Thea! I have been struggling to find ONE word as well. It's funny how there were unwritten "rules" for this in my mind. I am definitely going to seek out what word(s) God will have me focus on this year. Love that you are taking a whole verse- and that you have a verse for the family every year for your tree. Awesome idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carrie! I loved that the verse that has been on my heart was exactly 12 words. I counted it out and just grinned! :)

      Delete
  3. this is great.
    hope you will update us every month.
    i have a word, but you'll have to wait for me to blog about it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl. :) At least tell me you'll blog about it soon--I can't wait to know what yours was!

      P.S. "Coffee" again? Once a month? :)

      Delete