Sunday, April 15, 2012

SOMETIMES IT'S A NO

I never owned a pair of Guess Jeans.

(Large sigh. Cue the violins for me and my first-world problems.)

My parents couldn't justify spending $58 (twenty years ago, mind you) for one pair of jeans. That just didn't seem like wise stewardship to them.

But to me it was like Stewar
dship, Shmewardship! I was all of 10 years old, and really, I just wanted what I wanted! And that was an excessively pricey pair of jeans with a triangle on the tush, just like everyone else had! Hey, the heart wants what it wants. And the tables have turned now. My Kindergarten-age son has informed me he's the only one without a pair of Skechers. And although I can't swing the $54 for the pair he really, really, really wants, the former 10 year old Thea sympathizes a little with the 6 year old him. Not enough to buy those shoes, but still. ;D

I must be honest, though. Why do I feel like I haven't fully outgrown this?

My "wanter" was way off then, but at times I think it's broken still. I want things that will inevitably end up in a yard sale 5 years from now. I want scenarios that are all kinds of wrong. I desire things that should have no room in my heart whatsoever.

And just as my parents held their ground about those jeans and just as I'll hold mine about those shoes, my LOVING AND GOOD Heavenly Father says no. Again and again. As many times as I need to hear it.

Keep saying NO, Lor
d. Tell us NO when we want things that have no part in Your perfect plans for us. Strengthen us to understand that when you say NO, You have a mighty good reason--one that is ultimately for Your glory and our good. Fix our "wanters" to want what You want for us!

Your plans are not to deprive us, but to give us a hope and a future. THANK YOU that every NO you say is motivated by Your crazy-big love for us.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I am a new follower of yours! Please visit me at http://mylifeunmasked.blogspot.com

    This post really touches home with me as I cannot think of spending that much on a pair of jeans or anything for that matter but my want is for people to like me so I cannot say that I have never desperately wanted an expensive name brand item so that I can "fit in" and be "accepted" thank goodness that over the years God has spoken to me and said "I created you and love you just the way you are. Do not change for the world. I accept you and love you. Is that enough for you?" It really hit home when God spoke the words Am I enough for you? How often do we throw God away and pick another thing or idol to wear or represent. How sad and hurtful we are. God is enough. That is what I have learned in my 23 years. God is enough for me. Anyways haha... I loved this post! Thank you so much for sharing I look forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following, Amber! I look forward to checking out your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post.

    And boy can I identify with wanting the Guess jeans.

    ReplyDelete