Monday, December 21, 2009

"But God."

"But God." My friend Denise has gotten me thinking about these words a lot. She's right--they're some of the most beautiful words ever.


I love that you can write anything in front of them. Anything! Stories of soiled souls, hopeless happenings, and seemingly unredeemable circumstances, and then swoop in right behind them with "BUT GOD" and the rest all fades in comparison.


"I was rejected by those who should have loved me." BUT GOD.


"My accusers breathe lies against me day and night." BUT GOD.


"I made selfish choices that hurt others and cost me my ministry." BUT GOD.


"I couldn't hold it all together and it fell apart." BUT GOD.



I was thinking about these words this morning especially as I read through Isaiah 60 and camped out on verse 2:


"See, darkness covers the earth
and thick darkness is over the peoples,
BUT THE LORD rises upon you
and His glory appears over you."


Darkness...thick darkness. BUT THE LORD.



And so often this "But God" part seems to always have to do with revealing His glory. Through our reprehensible deeds and those done to us, He is all about revealing His glory in us and through us.



________________________....BUT GOD.



Go ahead and fill in the blank. There's nothing in the first part of the sentence that supercedes the power and the glory and the majesty of the second.

3 comments:

  1. It's cool when we can end a phrase with, "...but God". It could be trouble when we begin with the phrase. "But God, I don't WANT to...", "But God..." (fill in the blank)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post. it is the words i wanted to say, but couldn't formulate. it is EXACTLY why i love the words "but God!"
    those two words are redemption and glory.

    i have introduced you over at my blog, and posted this. i DON'T want people to miss this.

    oh, and i too have been "camped out" on the scripture from isaiah 60 this christmas season, and for the SAME reason. "There was darkness" (defeat for me) ...BUT GOD, "and His glory appears on you" (and now there is victory, overcoming, i am a conqueror).

    thank you thea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Post.

    I honestly don't know where I'd be if I hadn't had my "But God" moment(s).

    Thank you for sharing your heart!

    (Oh, and Denise sent me :D)

    ReplyDelete