Saturday, February 27, 2010

Princess

"You were a bit of a princess when you were younger," I was told by a family member.

That didn't sit well with me.

I'm a girly-girl, but I didn't want to be a princess. I'd come to associate the word "princess" with "diva." Not good.

I don't tend to mesh well with divas. I spend too much of my time in their presence biting my tongue to keep from saying, "Get over yourself" (which I would never in a million years actually say). I don't have much patience for that sense of entitlement, that "the-world-revolves-around-me" attitude. I especially cringe when I see it in little girls.

So in the years since those words were spoken to me (and it's been quite a few), I've tried to be anything but a princess. I don't demand my own way. I'd rather die than send back food at a restaurant. I say "please" every third word when I even order, and thank the waiter multiple times. I totally get the fact that nobody owes me anything, and I act accordingly (most of the time).

But I've been wrong to say I'm not a princess.

I'm not a diva. But I am a princess. See, this world has it wrong. The idea of being a princess has come to suggest that "I'm-up-on-a-pedestal" mentality. But a princess's royalty has far less to do with her, and far more to do with being the daughter of a King. I am a daughter of the King of Kings, which makes me a princess. Not because of who I am, but because of who He is. My Heavenly Father is the King. That makes me royalty.

This past week I memorized 1 Peter 2:9 with Weekly Bible Memory Verse on Facebook. Awesome verse. It says I am a royal priesthood--not that I may be lifted up, but that I may "proclaim the praise of the One who called me out of darkness into marvelous light." My position as a princess means that I bring glory to my Father the King. Period. He is the One on the throne, and I get to spend my life bringing honor to His name!

Guess I'm a princess after all. Although I'd still rather die than send food back in a restaurant. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment