Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Power, My Hands, Myself


"I do it myself."

These words come from the mouth of a tiny little girl who thinks she's got it covered. She doesn't want to need my help. But it doesn't mean she doesn't need it.

And while it's a good thing for her to learn and grow and try things on her own, her insistence to "do it myself" sometimes results in a big mess. Do I want my 2-year old pouring her own milk out of the gallon jug into her tiny cup? Um, no. Mess, mess, mess.

Isn't that the way?

"You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands have produced this abundance for me'" (Deuteronomy 8:17).

Can you relate?

* The Lord says, "I want to make a way for you in this ministry." You reply, "I'll do it myself."
* He extends the offer to meet your needs according to His glorious riches, but you reply, "No, I can do it."
* He offers, "Let me give you the words to say in this situation." You refuse, saying, "I'll do it myself."
* He promises, "I can bring restoration and healing in this." You reply, "Thanks, but I got it."

He declares "I AM YOUR HELP"--in relationships, finances, ministry, and the tiniest details of life. But our whole "I'll do it myself" thing is a refusal of His offering, and it seems like the result is always a mess of mistakes and misunderstandings.

One of my last posts starts with the words, "Would I like to be self-sufficient? Sometimes, yes." And it's true. Not even because I think I can do it BETTER than God, but because I feel like I SHOULD be able to do it by myself. I get to be a stay-at-home-mom 90% of the time, so is it fair for me to ask Him to provide the work for me to do the other 10% of the time? I've not been flawless with finances, so why should I ask for His help as I dig out of debt? So even in the times of my greatest need I find myself calling out of the pit, "I'm good, Lord. I'll do it myself." But why should I expect anything BUT a mess to be the result?

"I am the vine, you are the branches. Apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

In what ways do you find yourself telling the Lord, "I'll do it myself"?

No comments:

Post a Comment