Saturday, May 29, 2010

Never Meant to Carry It


When we come home from the grocery store, I always insist on having the kids carry in one of the grocery bags to help me out.

And for some reason, they always insist on carrying the heaviest ones!

So there I am, easily carrying the bag with the loaf of bread while my children struggle with the bag with the large jug of juice. And as much as I try to get them to trade me, they refuse.

Seems crazy to me.

And yet Jesus recognized this tendency in you and in me when He declared in Matthew 11, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (v. 28-30).

So just as I try to convince my little children to trade their heavy bags for my light ones, Jesus bids us to come and TRADE YOKES with Him. We're urged to cast our cares upon Him, because waiting for us in the exchange is his light and easy burden.

It's exhausting carrying the things we were never meant to carry.

So when are you going to take Him up on His offer to trade yokes?

No comments:

Post a Comment