Sunday, September 19, 2010

PULL OVER

Sometimes it's tough not to pull out ahead.

We were headed to church this morning, and our visiting relatives were coming, too. We were traveling in separate cars, so my father-in-law pulled over so we could lead the way.

"Why did Papa pull over?" asked my son.

"He doesn't know the way and we do, so he's pulling over so we can show him which way to go."

Maybe I should take a tip from my father-in-law.

Because aren't there times when we inch ahead of the One who knows the way? Aren't there instances when we think we can edge ahead and sort of "help Him out" with some ideas of our own?

My father-in-law knows the general direction to our church. But without following us, he'd probably miss a turn he needed to take, or take a turn he shouldn't.

That's what happens when you don't know the way.

And we don't know the way! The general direction, perhaps. As believers, we know the things to do and not do, we know the things to pursue or not. But we're each walking a unique and divinely appointed path--and our reliance on the Lord to lead is critical. Of course our paths are laden with grace--but if we don't follow the One who knows the way, we will miss turns we were meant to take, and will encounter what He never intended for us. Period!

Search my heart, Sovereign God. Is there ANY area of my life in which I'm inching out in front of You? Any area at all? Reveal those areas in which we need to PULL OVER. They may not even yet be discernible to us, but to You, they are evident. So bring them to light for us.
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.
Psalm 32:8
I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.
Isaiah 48:17

No comments:

Post a Comment