Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fever

Little Ailey has had a fever.
When the kids run a temperature, we don't reach for the Tylenol right away--and sometimes not at all. We know the entire purpose of a fever is to burn off any bugs their bodies are trying to fight off, and that reducing the fever works against their bodies trying to do so.
Sure, as a mom it seems logical to do whatever I can to remedy what ails my child. Unless I know that trying to fix it might actually interfere with her restoration to health. And besides, when her body has had to work to fight something off, it actually grows stronger.

It's the same idea as the refining fire. No one would invite adversity and hardship. But when they come, our God is so faithful to use them to accomplish His purposes. Even if they must remain for awhile to burn off what shouldn't be there, and to reveal what should be.

Three different times I begged for the Lord to take away the thorn in my flesh. But each time He said, "My grace is all you need. My power is made perfect in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can rest on me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, and persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

2 Corinthians 12

No comments:

Post a Comment