Tuesday, October 12, 2010

IS THAT ALL YOU DO?

My son asked me the other day, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" (Thought I was grown up--was I wrong?)

"A wife and mom," I replied.

Trev snorted and said, "No, that's not really anything. What do you REALLY want to be?"

He couldn't believe that's really what I want to do. But he's not the only one. Ever had someone not get your passion for something? Like the whole wife-and-mom thing--ever felt like people begin speaking a little more slowly for ya when they find out that's "all" you do?

Maybe these things wouldn't mean much on a resume'--but I think there is something sacred about blowing bubbles, folding laundry, unloading the dishwasher, reading your kiddos their favorite stories for the umpteenth time, cutting the crust off PB&J sandwiches, and letting your spouse have the fluffier pillow. I'm not saying I always appreciate getting to do these things. I'm like every other wife and mom who gets grumpy and ungrateful, overwhelmed and depleted. But at the heart of it, I am truly happiest when I can focus on my family.

It may mean that nobody outside a 10-mile radius will know your name. And people may pity you or think you're missing out by being "just a wife and mom." But I doubt at the end of our lives God will say, "I'd love to hand you out a "Well-done-good-and-faithful-servant" badge, but I can't. Because you were just a wife and mom." I think it'll be something more along the lines of "What you did unto the least of these, you did unto Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment