Tuesday, August 10, 2010

CONFIDENCE IN A CROSSWALK

I nearly hit someone with my car tonight.

I was driving down Main Street near Swift-Cantrell Park when a man stepped right into the road--in a 40 mile an hour zone! It was really odd because there's this random crosswalk right in the middle of a really busy street--no intersection anywhere around. Quite strange that it's even there. And even though I am supposed to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk, I still thought it was pretty bold of him to step out in front of my car, fully trusting the power of the crosswalk to keep him safe.


Aren't there times in our lives when we unwisely venture out into dangerous situations, presumptuously trusting that the Lord will not allow any harm or consequence to come our way? Have we treated Him like He's our own personal safety net whose sole purpose is to run around bailing us out?

Look, I absolutely know the Lord as my Protector and the One who has spared me of some of what I wanted.
Some--not all.
He is merciful and gracious--slow to anger, and abounding in love. But it also says in the Word that He turned people over to what they wanted, even when He initially tried to protect them from it, because their hearts were so bent on pursuing what they wanted. And in turning them over, He allowed the consequences to come as well. Psalm 81:11-12: "But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices." And I'm sure some were surprised when they came face to face with the "oncoming car" of consequence.
I've seen people charge their way into a pit of debt as fast as they're asking the Lord to keep digging them out of it, only to wonder what happened when it caught up with them.
I've listened to people lament their marriage troubles after saying "I do" to an unbeliever.

I've known people who danced on the line of infidelity, only to be shocked when the slightest nudge actually pushed them over that line.
I've seen people tear others down mercilessly, only to be incredulous when they're held to the same rigid standards.

Would I step out into 40-mile an hour traffic simply because of a few lines painted on the street? Um, no. I wouldn't assume the driver would stop for me enough to put my confidence in a crosswalk.

But have I put my trust in my own desires, and assumed that the Lord would spare me of any repercussions?

Hm. That's a different story.

"He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, but he who walks wisely is kept safe."

Proverbs 28:26

No comments:

Post a Comment